Friday, January 25, 2013

Shaun Berk's 10 Movie Recommendations- 283rd Edition

Welcome to the 283rd Edition of my series. This week I pay tribute to director Sidney Lumet who recently left us. Next week, I will be trying out for A FEW GOOD MEN at the Anderson Mainstage Theatre so if I get a part it will be my second version of the show. So I don't really have much to say right now so just read on and enjoy.

Love Potion No. 9 (1992): This is the 23rd link on The Chain and it continues with Dylan Baker who plays Prince Geoffrey in this movie. This is really my guilty pleasure for the week. Tate Donovan stars as biochemist Paul who has no luck with the ladies. He is then persuaded by his friends to visit Madame Ruth, played by Anne Bancroft, who then gives him a potion called Love Potion # 8 which he shares with his equally geeky biochemist colleague Diane, played by Sandra Bullock. Together, they embark on a journey to see how well this potion works while overlooking who they really like. This did have some funny moments and it was good seeing HIGHLANDER alum Adrian Paul. My uncle Cal actually got to be an extra in this film but his scenes were cut. Next week, The Chain continues with another movie with Dylan Baker.

Batman (1989): This is my superhero movie of the week and the a pretty groundbreaking superhero movie from Tim Burton. Michael Keaton stars as the caped crusader and for the first time in live-action film, they portrayed Batman as more of a haunted vigilante who was very bitter over the murder of his family. Jack Nicholson plays one of Batman's most common arch-enemies, the Joker and had a lot of fun doing so. Kim Basinger plays reporter Vicki Vale who is trying to understand Bruce Wayne and Batman. Billy Dee Williams plays Harvey Dent but long before he was Two-Face and there was intention of making him that character but Joel Schumacher took over the franchise and it did not happen. When this came out, most just remembered that sitcom but in this movie we are long past the "Pow", "Boom", "Sock" and so on. Robert Wuhl, Jerry Hall, Jack Palance, Michael Gough, and many others co-starred. This movie gave way to the future of the great Christopher Nolan franchise which is apparently coming to an end soon and will have a reboot. This movie really goes from when Batman was getting started and known but not really focusing on how he comes to be which I thought was fine. In here, he was that mysterious bat that nobody knew what to think of. One interesting thing about Nicholson taking the part of the Joker. He demanded top-billing which he got so his name is the first name and was able to get most of the royalties. Nicholson was fun but Heath Ledger would go onto play it a lot better in my opinion. Keaton was also quite good as the rich playboy Bruce Wayne and his alter-ego Batman. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Henry, The Funniest Living American (1935): This is my animated short for the week and since I have not done animated shorts in a long time, I would visit my public domain app on the Roku. This is actually a Betty Boop short where she owns a pet shop where her friend Henry, who is also a pretty famous character from the era, wants a little puppy but does not quite have enough money. Betty then lets him work it off but comes to regret her decision when things get out of hand. I have seen better Betty Boop but this provides some pretty funny moments.

The Docks of New York (1928): This is my silent film for the week which was directed by Josef Von Sternberg. George Bancroft stars as Bill who works as a stoker on the waterfront. Betty Compton stars as Betty who tries to drown herself but is saved by George. This becomes a very life-changing moment for both of them as they fall in love. However, George's co-workers do not make their relationship easy. This was released shortly after the talkies started coming out but remains a pretty good silent film on love.

The Blob (1958): This is something that should have been watched during Elizabeth's Horror Movie Madness but I just didn't get to it until now. Steve McQueen stars in this film as Steve who is a somewhat rebellious high school teen who comes upon the title character who is swallowing everyone up but no one believes him except one of the cops. This was a pretty good horror film which was a star-making role for McQueen and the only one who seemed to really have a big career afterwards. Burt Bacharach wrote the title song to this movie.

The Princess and the Frog (2009): I saw this for the first time when it was in theaters after a rehearsal for A TIME FOR CHRISTMAS. Lisa said she was going to I thought it might be good so I went too. Our other castmates Jade and Kasey also came to see it and we all left very happy. This is Disney returning to tradition of paper animation and having a good message. This movie expands on their concept of how when wishing upon a star and a dream comes true. This talks about how you can wish but the star can only get you so far and that hard work is required to achieve dreams. So this movie is set in the Jazz era of New Orleans where a very hardworking girl named Tiana, voiced by Anika Noni Rose dreams of owning her own restaurant but must work a low-end waitress job first. Tiana is now billed as Disney's first black Disney princess but she is not officially a princess in this movie. The other story is on Prince Naveen, voiced by Bruno Campos, who has been cut off by his parents. Naveen then meets voodoo man Dr. Facilier who offers him a lot but in the end turns him into a frog. With Prince Naveen being a frog, he desperately seeks to be human again. Tiana then encounters this frog and has always heard the great stories of kissing a frog to become human again but when it happens we have the opposite effect and they are both frogs. Tiana and Prince Naveen must then work together to become human again. This movie is quite possibly Disney's best and has some great songs written by Randy Newman who also provides one of the voices. I have heard of people accusing this film of racism but I saw nothing of the sort. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Equus (1977): This is my tribute to the late Sidney Lumet who directed this film. Richard Burton stars in this film as Dr. Martin Dysart who then agrees to help a 17 year old boy named Alan, played by Peter Firth, who blinded six horses with a metal spike. He tries to understand why he would do such a horrible thing and even interviews his parents to see what kind of part they could have had. Dysart also must also face demons of his own when looking into this situation. This is a rather dark film that is not for everyone and does a good job weaving from the present into flashbacks. I have sen this show twice done at the Muncie Civic Studio Theater and they do a good job but I felt Lumet transferred this Peter Shaffer play very well to film with the help of Shaffer on the screenplay. Many years later Daniel Radcliffe, known to most of us as Harry Potter, played the part on Broadway and yes he had to do the things that Firth had to do in this film. I know I'm too old to play Alan now but probably would have to turn that part down as I would not feel very comfortable. The climax scene can be disturbing for anyone. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Kayla (1999): I go from a rather depressing film to a more family oriented film. Tod Fennell stars as Sam whose explorer father disappeared but will not give hope that he is still alive but really effects his family life and school life. He then finds a wild dog that really resembles the leader of his dad's sled dogs so he decides to enter the dog race competition with that dog and his stepfather's two dogs but the community is not the most accepting of wild dogs and Sam who is 12 must really grow up to be able to do this race and protect the dogs. This really is a very good family film. I had never heard of this until I came across it and no actors I have ever heard of. It also comes from a studio called The Cookie Jar Company which is evidently a Canadian company showing that a good family movie is not impossible. Hopefully I can get this on the radar some so if you are looking for a good family film, please look into this one.

Romeo and Juliet (1968): I was inspired to watch this one after watching DANCING WITH THE STARS with my mom last week and Ralph Macchio and his dance partner Karina Smirnoff danced to this great musical score from Nino Rota. This is probably my favorite Shakespeare play and film adaptation and like the last one, no big-name actors besides a young Michael York who plays Tybalt. Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey were perfect for the title roles of the star-crossed lovers. This is the ultimate story of forbidden love and feuding families. Just for a brief description for those not familiar. Romeo is part of the Montague family and Juliet is part of the Capulet family and these are both rival families. As you might guess, these two meet and fall in love but must keep it secret. This story really conveys the price of hatred and one of the earlier stories to do so. The music score is great and in the party scene, a guy sings a really good song written by Nino Rota called WHAT IS A YOUTH. I'll warn you, there is a split-second where we see Juliet's boobs and this movie was made in Italy so maybe it was more acceptable there. The first time I saw this was in high school and even then I really liked this and when I saw the split second, if that even, of the boob shot, there was no reaction. Nobody cared. This was one of the few units in English class that I enjoyed. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Vision Quest (1985): Now this in some ways came upon chance. I was in Bracken Library at Ball State and my friend Ashley comes to see me and talk to me briefly. Somewhere in our conversation she asks me if I have seen this film and the truth there is that I had not even heard of it. She then mentions how it is a wrestling film and it is about a high-school wrestler and I believe if I remember correctly she was the manager for her high-school wrestling team. I then saw this was available on Netflix through DVD so I agreed to list it and put it to the top. About a week ago, I went over to The Landing where she was booked to sing and she reminded me of this but I showed it was on DVD and about to get watched. Matthew Modine stars as high school senior Louden Swain who is on the wrestling team and wants to drop to another weight class in order to wrestle a rival who has never lost. However, he does not receive much support as many believe he is being selfish towards the team. The wrestling was really just more of an element of the movie and is really about the person who is not sure what he really wants to do in life. Linda Fiorentino co-stars as a drifter named Carla who rents a room to Louden's father and they soon begin to fall in love. I have seen that there are some who do not like this movie but I am not really sure on that. It by no means will rank as one of my favorites but does a good job with high school wrestling from what I can tell and I'm sure many wrestlers can relate to this film. Also, look for Madonna in one of her first movie roles and introduces us to her hit song CRAZY FOR YOU. I do not usually write messages specifically for friends on this blog but will here for Ashley. Ashley, good suggestion and it was a pretty good movie from the 80s and on high school wrestling. In return, please look into my request of having a version of a non-SLEDGEHAMMER Peter Gabriel song because I think you could do a good job.

Well, that is it for this week. I seemed to focus a lot on animals this week and other fantasy elemends like potions, bats, dogs, blobs, frogs, alligators, horses, and many others. Tell me what you like and what you do not like. Leave suggestions if you like but please comment on the material at hand first. Stay tuned for next week which so far includes more Dylan Baker, James Dean, Jonah Hill, Chow Yun-Fat, Lionel Barrymore, and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment