Friday, January 25, 2013

Shaun Berk's 10 Movie Recommendations- 296th Edition

Welcome to the 296th Edition of my series. It has been quite a fun weekend. On Friday, I went to Vecinos in Muncie to see my good friend Ashley sing along with her boyfriend Stephen who was in Muncie visiting from Philadelphia. Stephen showed that he is a talented musician in his own right. I also got to know her parents who were very nice to me so that was a great night. Yesterday, I had a guy recognize me on AMERICA'S GOT TALENT on which they put me on television for 90 seconds and he recognized me which I was amazed. Later in the evening, I went to the Muncie Civic Theater to see the musical THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE thinking I was just going there to watch the show. However, I was quite wrong when I registered my name to be one of the spellers and then my name was drawn. I ended up being one of four people getting sent up there. The others just waited their turn which was not really wrong but I decided I wanted to act so I did a lot of reacting and interacting with the guys I was sitting by. When my time came up for my word, I was given some big word and then got it wrong and decided to react in anger. I got quite a bit of praise for what I did. It was a very well done musical and should go out there to see it. Registering to be a speller is not required unless you want to do it. Later this evening, I will likely end up at the Anderson Buffalo Wild Wings for the wrestling ppv and see some more of my friends.

Nine Lives (2005): This is the 35th link on The Chain and this one continues with Ian McShane. This movie takes a look at nine different women and the relationships that define them. Some of the stories intersect with each other and each one does not really have an end. Many people are in this like Robin Wright, Holly Hunter, Amanda Seyfried, Sissy Spacek, Joe Mantegna, Glenn Close, Dakota Fanning, and many others. I really enjoyed the last one with Glenn Close and Dakota Fanning the most. This may be a good movie for Girl's Night and a really interesting way of shooting the stories. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Who the #$&% is Jackson Pollock? (2006): This is my documentary for the week on the art world. A female semi-truck driver named Teri Horton bought a painting at a thrift store for only five bucks but then learn it might be a Jackson Pollack painting for 50 million dollars which starts a never ending journey from Horton to prove this is a Pollack painting. She puts herself in a world she does not fit into but never stops her efforts to prove the identity of the painter. It is a pretty entertaining documentary and a good insight to the world of art.

The Asphault Jungle (1950): This is part three of what will likely be the last part of my Sterling Hayden series. John Huston directed this heist film where a major heist seeming to be foolproof is hatched but when the criminals cannot coexist. Each person has some big problem going on which makes the heist more and more difficult and the movie does a great job of showing that there is no foolproof scam. Look for Marilyn Monroe in an early role. This is probably the best of the three Sterling Hayden films I have shown. This is also available on Instant Netflix.

Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid (1942): This is my short film for the week which was included on the dvd for last week's feature YANKEE DOODLE DANDY which stars you guessed it Bugs Bunny. In this one, Mama Buzzard wants her children to bring back some meat and one of the buzzardlings named Beaky Buzzard is very shy but is told to bring back a rabbit and goes after the wrong one in Bugs. This was a very good Looney Tunes short and can likely be found on Youtube.

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926): This is the oldest surviving animated feature film from Germany. This is taken from stories in THE ARABIAN KNIGHTS where the title character goes into magical adventures, meets a princess, Aladdin, and battling other demons. This is a silent film and must be followed closely. This is a very interesting early animation effort though the figures being cardboard cutouts using thread and movable parts. This movie is available on Instant Netflix.

Humpday (2009): Lynn Shelton wrote, directed, and co-starred in this independent effort which takes a look at a married couple and being visited by their friend Andrew. Andrew is taking part in a film project to make an erotic film and decides he should do this with Ben even though he is married. Ben considers doing it but has to consider his wife and heterosexuality. This is not for everyone but it was a very brave film to make and has some interesting and thought-provoking discussions. This movie does not have any big names but gets by without them. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Peeping Tom (1960): This is my psychological film for the week which stars Carl Boehm as Mark Lewis who works at a British film studio. On the side, he becomes obsessed with the effects on fear and taping women while killing them. This also shows flashbacks of his childhood which lead to him becoming the killer in his adult life. This was a very well-shot and unusual film directed by Michael Powell. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Origin: Spirits of the Past (2006): This is my Anime film for the week. This takes place 300 years into the future where humankind has destroyed Earth. A young boy named Agito stumbles across a machine that glowed in a strange blue inside a forbidden sanctuary and preserves a girl named Tula who has been entrusted in a mission. This movie has some great animation in it and I liked the theme song with a pretty moving story. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976): John Carpenter wrote and directed this violent independent film. This takes place at an almost abandoned police station where the inhabitants there are outnumbered by gangs and must do everything possible to fight them off since their phones are off and are out in the middle of nowhere. This is not for everyone and there is some very brutal violence in this film but still a very well written film. Carpenter also wrote a pretty good music score. This is a film that worked without a big time cast. I have not seen the remake. This is available on Instant Netflix.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985): I now end the week with this Paul Schrader film. This is a fictionalized account into the life of 20th century Japanese writer Yukio Mishima and puts it into four parts. This movie is shot so well and has some beautiful cinematography and a great music score from Philip Glass. This movie is also available on Instant Netflix.

Well, that is it for this week. Forgive my lackluster writing as I just wrote all this at the same time while I usually write through the week. Still tell me what you like and what you do not like. Stay tuned for next week which so far includes Alan Rickman, James Cagney, and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment