Sunday, September 29, 2013

Shaun Berk's 10 Movie Recommendations- 411th Edition

  photo 3ca2b3f5-6091-47d0-a4a9-3e2eaca01bea.jpg

Welcome to the 411th Edition of my long-running series.  I am now 0-3 in Fantasy Football so not looking good but it is not over yet.  Next week starts the annual Madness contest so I decided to give a little preview here featuring serial killers, creating life, Tolkien, and a Hunchback.  I just got out of auditions for ANNIE at the Muncie Civic Theater which I should find out this week if I got a part.  I will now get on

 photo ted.jpgTed (2012):  I start the week out with this very raunchy comedy which includes a teddy bear but is by no means a children's film.  I have been meaning to see it but then I realized I had to check it out soon when my friend Sirena referred to me as a Thunderbuddy and let me know it was from this movie.  Seth McFarlane directed, co-wrote, and provides the voice of the title character.  Mark Wahlberg stars as John who was picked on a lot as a child.  When he becomes eight years of age, he gets a teddy bear that he calls Ted and then wishes that he were alive and a friend.  For some reason the wish becomes true and they become best friends and Thunderbuddies for life.  They both grow up together and at 35 years of age John is still quite a slacker while Ted is very foul-mouthed and crude.  Mila Kunis co-stars as John's girlfriend Lori who is growing tired of John being so irresponsible and makes him choose between her and Ted.  This was a comedy that went to many mixed opinions and there were even times where even I was saying wtf but yet I could not take my eyes off the film.  I expected the raunchiness but I did not expect it to be a rather dark comedy mostly due to the weird father and son combination.  Giovanni Ribisi, Patrick Warburton, Patrick Stewart and many others have parts in this film including some celebrities playing themselves including Sam Jones who is known for playing Flash Gordon in Ted and John's favorite movie FLASH GORDON.  I did enjoy this movie, I laughed a lot, and I am glad that now I have a thunderbuddy.  This is available on HBO On-Demand.

 photo holmes.jpgH.H. Holmes:  America's First Serial Killer (2004):  This is my documentary for the week which features serial killer H.H. Holmes who is billed as the first American serial killer.  He began his life of crime in the late 1800s and was actually a doctor which was his front to be a serial killer.  He designed a hotel that was made for his victims in which he killed in a variety of ways.  This documentary follows his life as a criminal mastermind and even got the nickname Torture Doctor.  Through the years, I have heard a lot about serial killers like Ted Bundy, David Berkowitz, Jack the Ripper, Jeffrey Dahmer, and many others but I had never really heard of him until I came across this title when looking for selections on Instant Netflix which I had not watched until Ashley posted a status about watching a documentary about him on the History Channel which I guess was different from this one.  This was a very interesting documentary on a person who put up quite a front as a successful doctor but was really a very sick man.  This is available on Instant Netflix and is a great viewing if you are into these types of documentaries.

 photo music-1.jpgMusic Land (1935):  This is my Disney animated short for the week.  This is a love story among musical instruments which consist of a Princess Violin and a Prince Sax who are in a forbidden love due to being in feuding kingdoms.  This is a really fun short film with a really good story and very well done with the musical instruments.  This is findable through Youtube and should really get a look, especially classic animation buffs.

 photo plan9.jpgPlan 9 from Outer Space (1959):  I actually had the pleasure of viewing this on a big screen at Cornerstone Center For the Arts in Muncie and being put on by the local group Scarevania.  They put on a very fun pre-show that lead into all of us seeing the best bad movie of all time directed by "The Worst Director of All Time" Ed Wood.  The plot here is that aliens resurrect the dead into essentially zombies to stop the humans from making what is called a Solbonite which I guess is a sun-driven bomb.  In Wood's defense to some extent is that he did have a very low budget to work with on his very ambitious project.  Bela Lugosi is in his last role here and dies during the filming.  To replace Mr. Lugosi, Wood cast his dentist Tom Mason and being much taller than Bela, they had the bright idea for him to cover his face with his cape so sometimes you see Lugosi and sometimes you see some guy covering his face with his cape.  Other legends include Vampira, Tor Johnson, and Criswell.   This has to be appreciated for what it is which is a b-movie classic which have cardboard tombs, really bad looking flying saucers, not great acting, among other things that make it what it is today.  The Scarevania group really made this experience fun by doing their own commentary and antics.  This group has a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/scarevania and have a website at http://www.scarevania.com.

 photo curse.jpgThe Curse of Frankenstein (1957):  As someone who is more of a casual viewer to the horror genre, this has always been my favorite franchise.  I love the idea of a scientist who has good intentions of creating life but finds there is a price of playing God as many might say.  There is also that really emphasised theme of fearing the unknown as this creature he creates is seen as a monster and becomes one due to the fear of others.  In 2007, I had the pleasure of being in a great version at Muncie Civic Theater where I played a psychotic gravedigger who helped Victor Frankenstein in his quest to create life.  In the movie world, I have seen quite a few versions and consider this my favorite.  Terence Fisher directed this entry into Hammer Films which is based on the novel by Mary Shelley.  Peter Cushing stars as Victor Frankenstein who becomes obsessed with the origins of life.  He then successfully re-animates a dog thought dead so then sets out to create a person, much to the dismay of his tutor turned partner Paul, played by Robert Urquhart.  Also in his life is his cousin Elizabeth who then becomes his fiance which makes Paul stay to protect her from harm.  Christopher Lee plays the creature in this film who tries to be good but never was able to learn the world.  I really love the way the story was told here and the ending.  I usually do not consider myself very OCD but I cannot tell you how many times I have given the lecture that the Frankenstein is Victor Frankenstein and that the creature really does not have a name.  This is the first of many teamings of Cushing/Lee which have always been my favorites in this genre.  Most people when they think classic horror probably think the stuff of Universal but I have usually preferred movies of Hammer films myself and hope to get more exposure with this one.

 photo wonka.jpgWilly Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971):  I went on a bit of a road trip over the week so I wanted something from this era that I could rent from itunes and sync to my ipod touch and I thought what better than this one.  Mel Stuart directed this musical adaptation to the children's book by Roald Dahl.  Gene Wilder stars as the title character who runs a chocolate factory and has been reclusive for years but holds a contest for five kids to get a tour of his place.  They each must get a golden ticket.  Peter Ostrum stars as a very poor but very kind boy named Charlie who is determined to get that golden ticket and through persistance finally gets it opting to take his Grandpa Joe, played by Jack Albertson, with him.  The other kids are not as kind and respectful as Charlie and learn the hard way they must follow directions.  This is really one of my favorite musicals from this era and really prefer this version to Tim Burton's version years later.  This is a rather dark story but they don't have to really shove it down your throat with the cinematography.  Wilder is great in the title role and the Oompa Loompas are also very entertaining with their musical numbers.  This is one of those that I never get tired of and one of the better musicals from that era in my humble opinion.

 photo rings.jpgThe Lord of the Rings (1978):  This is an animated version of the classic fantasy novel by J.R.R. Tolkien which was directed by Ralph Bakshi.  This is centered around a young hobbit named Frodo who is charged with destroying a ring that was created by the dark lord Sauron.  He must set out on quite a journey with the help of wizards, humans, elves, and dwarves.  This movie is a little over two hours long so is not quite everything in the epic that Peter Jackson brought us many years later.  It is obviously a rather condensed version which really takes place in the first half of the story.  Despite not having the fully story, it was still fairly well done with vocal talents that include John Hurt and Anthony Daniels.  It is also some very well done animation that was done from Bakshi which was really pretty realistic.  This may not be for younger kids but the older crowd may really enjoy this underrated adaptation.

 photo hitchcock.jpgRobyn Hitchcock:  Sex, Food, Death... and Insects (2007):  This is another documentary for the week which takes a look at the singer of the title.  I will admit that I had not heard of this person until I recorded this from the Sundance network.  He is an English singer/songwriter who has lyrics of surrealism and comedic elements and has been able to gain quite a following.  This takes place in a time of his life in 2006 where he was recording a group of new songs that included collaborations from R.E.M. member Peter Buck, Led Zeppelin member John Paul Jones, and Gillian Welch.  This was a pretty insightful documentary that goes some into his background but if looking for a life story this is not it.  This is a good way to get to know the wory of Robyn Hitchcock if you have not yet.

 photo lipsett.jpgLipsett Diaries (2010):  This is my modern day short film for the week which is an animated one taking a look at filmmaker Arthur Lipsett who died in 1986 at the age of 49 years of age.  A narrator recounts the life of a bad childhood, a mother who abandoned him, and an unhappy adult life.  He was known for some very innovative short films in the 60s that influenced filmmakers like Stanley Kubrick and George Lucas even if he did not do any feature films that I am aware of.  This movie took hand drawn images, montage of clippings, and a few otehr elements.  This was a pretty good use of animation that uses Lipsett's collage animation style and a good way for people to look into Arthur Lipsett which I now intend to do because of this short film.

 photo hunchback.jpgThe Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996):  I end with this Disney film that is based on the classic novel from Victor Hugo.  This story centers around a deformed bellringer named Quasimodo, voiced by Tom Hulce, in the 15th century of France.  All his life, he is raised by corrupt goverment official Frollo, voiced by Tony Jay, who makes Quasimodo believe that he is the only one who cares and the rest of the world is evil.  Quasimodo soon decides from encouragement of his gargoyle friends to sneak out of the home to go to an annual festival where he soon meets a very accepting gypsy girl named Esmerelda, voiced by Demi Moore, and an honorable soldier who does not like Frollo's ways named Phoebus, voiced by Kevin Kline.  Esmerelda leads a group of gypsies who are opposing Frollo's oppressive ways which makes Quasimodo slowly see the evil of his caretaker.  Other voices include Jason Alexander, David Ogden Stiers, and Charles Kimbrough.  This is a pretty dark tale so might not be for little children but is a very compelling Disney film.  For me, I like Disney the best in the 90s and music wise this is really my favorite.  Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz write some really good musical numbers, has some really good action, and is a pretty good Disney story in my opinion.  This is available on Instant Netflix.

Well, that is it for this week.  Tell me what you like and dislike and stay tuned for next week.

 photo end.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment