Sunday, March 31, 2013

Shaun Berk's 10 Movie Recommendations- 385th Edition

  photo 3ca2b3f5-6091-47d0-a4a9-3e2eaca01bea.jpg

Welcome to the 385th Edition of my series.  I hope everyone is having a good Easter.  It turned out to be a pretty long day for me with my flat tire but I got everything addressed and am home now writing this blog. I just recently started volunteer work at my local library which is the first volunteer experience, besides community theater, I have had since my college days.  It is something I believe I will enjoy.  I'm really ready for that warmer weather to start coming about.  It's gotten nicer but I hear it's supposed to get back into the 40s again but will get back to the 50s.  I suppose we cannot get 80s right now but maybe the 60s or 70s would be nice.  Remember, on April 13th we have an Action Packed Wrestling show in Chesterfield where I will be bringing back a couple wrestlers to the promotion like I did the last show.  As the talent agent of Action Packed Wrestling, I will see to it that I fix everything that is wrong.  I will now get to my recommendations for the week.

 photo chokingman.jpgChoking Man (2006):  I start this week out with this independent film wrote and directed by Steve Barron.  Octavio Gomez Berrios stars as Jorge who is an Ecuadorian dishwasher and extremely shy.  He soon develops a fixation on the new Asian waitress Amy, played by Eugenia Yam, but is constantly tormented by his co-worker Jerry, played by a pre-BREAKING BAD Aaron Paul, and his domineering roommate.  Mandy Patinkin co-stars as the restaurant owner.  This is something that received mixed reactions and while I did not find it great, there were elements I liked.  I did enjoy some of the animation sequences in this movie.  It is also an interesting psychological thriller and something quite different with this unlikely protagonist.  This is available on Instant Netflix and worth a look.

 photo Carnage.jpgCarnage (2011):  This is part one of a two-part John C. Reilly series and a two-part Jodie Foster series.  Roman Polanski directed this comedy-drama which is based on the play by Yasmina Reza.  This movie centers around two sets of parents who get together do discuss the altercation between their sons.  Jodie Foster and John C. Reilly star as Penelope and Michael Longstreet are the parents to the boy that was injured.  Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz star as Nancy and Alan Cowan who are the parents to the boy that injured the other one.  They have a meeting which starts out as a civil discussion but then escalates into more of an altercation that goes beyond their kids fighting and more about their parenting, lifestyles, and marriage issues.  The four actors were very well cast in this film and do a good job.  It also has some pretty funny moments but also an interesting look about handling the bullying of children.  I would like to see this done as a play sometime.

 photo summer.jpgSummer Hours (2008):  This is my French film for the week which was written and directed by Olivier Assayas.  Edith Scob plays Helene who is 75 years of age and understands she will not be around forever.  She then has her three children over for a visit to discuss what to do with her uncle's art collection and when she dies, they must all decide what they want to do but must also think realistically.  Juliette Binoche, Charles Berling, and Jeremie Renier play the three kids.  This is a very good film about family coming together but must be realistic about the future.  This is a pretty touching film and deserves a watch as long as you can watch a movie with subtitles.

 photo shearer.jpgThe Miracle of Sound (1940):  This is my short film for the week which features MGM sound engineer Douglas Shearer showing how sound gets into film.  It then shows a screen test for Greer Garson for BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST.  The rest of this short film features a montage of actors and upcoming films for the year.  One must remember that sound was still on the rise in film since 1927 was the first talkie.  It is also good for any movie buff and is interesting to see in that era how it worked.  Enclosed is a photo of Douglas Shearer who did a lot for sound in movies in this era and takes us into that world.

 photo roaring20s.jpgThe Roaring Twenties (1939):  Raoul Walsh directed this gangster film which was more of a statement for veterans who have a hard time finding work especially during the depression which is where this takes place..  James Cagney stars as WWI veteran Eddie Bartlett who is just getting out of the army and expects to get his job back at the auto shop that he had been promised.  When going back there he finds that his position was taken and that his former employer cannot afford to hire him back.  After Eddie cannot find a job, he then takes to a very successful operation which was bootlegging.  Humphrey Bogart co-stars as Eddie's friend George who joins him in bootlegging but becomes one of the problems in  the operation.  This is a much different gangster film for Cagney where in much of his movies, he was straight out ruthless but this one it shows the circumstances of why he joins.  Priscilla Lane, Jeffrey Lynn, and Gladys George all co-star in this film that happened during the Golden Year for film.  This is the year that boasts titles like THE WIZARD OF OZ, GONE WITH THE WIND, MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, and many others.  This movie holds up very well and was very enjoyable in my opinion.  This would mark Cagney's last gangster film for ten years as he wanted to look into different roles.

 photo carter.jpgGet Carter (1971):  Mike Hodges directed and wrote the screenplay based on the novel by Ted Lewis and is my British film for the week.  Most probably know the 2000 remake which stars Sylvester Stallone.  This is the original that stars Michael Caine.  Caine stars as British gangster Jack Carter whose brother dies under mysterious circumstances in which he suspects is murder.  He then sets out to investigate his brother's death and will not stop or hold anything back.  This is a pretty violent film and is not for everyone.  I do always enjoy Caine in action films though.  Some may not like it for the way it may glorify a gangster like Carter.  Britt Ekland co-stars in this film as Anna.  This is actually based on a real gangster named Jack Carter that this movie was based upon and was very critical of the movie.

 photo dumbo.jpgDumbo (1941):  Now I bring in a more family oriented film that is a Disney classic.  We first meet a stork who is giving animals their children.  Now I'm not sure where this stork concept started but this really emphasizes how it's a stork that delivers babies.  Circus elephant Mrs. Jumbo finally gets her elephant baby who she calls Jumbo Jr.  The elephants of the group are full of women and Jumbo seems to be the only nice one as the others are very judgmental of her baby elephant because of his really big ears.  One of them soon dubs the baby elephant as the title name.  Dumbo soon gets separated from his mother and also finds he does not fit in the circus act with the other elephants.  He soon gets relegated to doing work with the clowns.  He soon meets a very energetic mouse named Timothy who does not judge Dumbo for his ears and tries to help him get to good spirits eventually exposing a pretty cool gift that Dumbo has.  This is a movie that really teaches acceptance and has some pretty funny moments.  There is some crows later in the movie and one even named Jim but they are pretty funny while being a bit stereotypical.  There is also a really good pink elephant sequence.  This is available on Instant Netflix and glad to see more Disney available there now.

 photo Joekidd.jpgJoe Kidd (1972):  This is my western for the week which was directed by John Sturges and written by Elmore Leonard who was more known for his novels made into a movie but this just appears to be a screenplay.  Clint Eastwood stars as the title character who is a former bounty hunter and has a small run in with the law.  John Saxon co-stars as a leader of a Mexican group named Luis Chama whose land claims are denied and burned in a fire which really sets them off.  Robert Duvall plays a wealthy landowner named Frank Harlan who brings in a group of killers to track Chama and wants Joe involved going so far as to paying his legal fines.  He's at first reluctant to join but then Chama does some things that are very unsettling to Joe.  Once joining, he realizes they are not a good group of people.  This is a pretty good Eastwood western and his westerns tend to be my favorite.  This is also available on Instant Netflix.

 photo newblood.jpgPeter Gabriel:  New Blood (2011):  This is my concert video for the week which you might have guessed includes Peter Gabriel.  Everyone who knows me well enough knows that I am a big Peter Gabriel fan and is my favorite singer.  I had the pleasure of seeing him in 2003 in concert.  I have just about every cd he has put out and about every live dvd.  This comes from his latest album NEW BLOOD where he makes orchestral arrangements of some of his biggest songs and has an amazing orchestra.  It also includes some of his remakes from the SCRATCH MY BACK albums.  I also own live dvd SHAKING THE TREE and GROWING UP and like those better in terms of her is more active on stage but this has its moments too.  There are a lot of good art work in the background.  I also like that he does not have SLEDGEHAMMER on this one.  I also like on this one that he does his song WALLFLOWER which is not usually performed live and is even better cd versions.  Other singers he has on hand is his daughter Melanie who is very talented in his own right as well as female singer Ane Brun.  Peter Gabriel is someone who is very underrated in my opinion and if people listen to him past SLEDGEHAMMER, they might find they like him the way I do.  I first heard about Peter when I was in middle school or so and started seeing his very interesting videos.  I really took note of him as a singer when I was visiting my dad's house and listening to his DMX which I believe was a satellite radio where I heard his song GAMES WITHOUT FRONTIERS and then slowly became a full-fledged fan and have never turned back.  I have mostly gotten away from the mainstream music scene and have tastes that flow from Gabriel.  This is a very good live performance and deserves a look.

 photo hero.jpgHero (2002):  I end this week with this Hong Kong film directed by Yimou Zhang.  Jet Li stars as a nameless assassin in ancient pre-unified China who is looking to assassinate the tyrant ruler, played by Daoming Chan.  To get to this ruler, he must defeat three assassins where they go into flashbacks from different points of view as he tells Emperor Qin the story of how he defeated these assassins.  Donnie Yen, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, and Ziyi Zhang all co-star in this story.  The first time I saw this movie, I did not think a lot of it but then when I watched it a second time, it really stood out for me.  There are a lot of good fight scenes and a great music score.  I found that it is a very well told story with some of Hong Kong's best.  I call this the third of a trilogy which consists of CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and this complements the two very well.  This is based on a true story but could not find enough information to determine if it has any accuracy but a beautiful film either way.

HONORABLE TV MENTION

 photo house-of-cards.jpgHouse of Cards (2013- current):  I decided to include a tv series this week so I included this rather ambitious series.  Kevin Spacey stars as the Majority Whip Frank Underwood who gets passed over for for a position he was promised and looks to manipulate his way to president in modern day Washington D.C.  Kate Mara co-stars as reporter Zoe Barnes who feels she is not getting much respect and forms an unusual alliance with Underwood that benefits her career and his quest in politics.  Robin Wright co-stars as Frank's ambitious wife Claire who is along for the ride.  This had quite an array of directors like David Fincher and Joel Schumacher.  I found that this is a remake of a British mini-series of the same title in 1990.  When this first came out, I expected to see an episode per week but they released the whole season at the same time and was very successful.  This is only available on Instant Netflix and I'm now ready for season two.

Well that is it for this week.  Stay tuned for next week which so far includes Drew Barrymore, more John C. Reilly, Martin Scorsese, more Jodie Foster and many others.

 photo The-End.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment